THE HAIN HOUSE & MEMORIAL GARDEN
412 FOURTH STREET BOONVILLE, MO 65233
OWNED & OPRERATED BY THE FRIENDS OF HISTORIC BOONVILLE
P.O. BOX 1776 BOONVILLE, MO 65233
HOUSE & GARDEN AVAILABLE FOR
RENTALS - GROUP TOURS BY APPOINTMENT
FRIDAYS IN JUNE - BROWN BAG CONCERTS
AUGUST - PROFESSIONAL ART EXHIBIT
NOVEMBER/DECEMBER - CHRISTMAS COTTAGE
History of the Hain House
The Hain House is a typical, 19th century single family dwelling, built and owned by an average Boonville family-this plus one other fact - that since its construction in c 1836, it has been owned by one family, the Hains.
The history of the Hain House begins in 1836 when George Hain , a Swiss immigrant, arrived in America. The dream of the common man - a land where every person regardless of station in life, had the same opportunity brought Hain to Boonville
A blacksmith and horticulturist by trade he purchased the property at Fourth and Chestnut Streets in July 1836. He then constructed a two room house of horizontal hewn walnut logs with a vertical log, notched and pegged, joining the two sections together. The house also had a loft reached climbing a boxed stair which divided the two lower rooms.
In 1843 Hain married Sophia Aull, herself a Swiss immigrant, and they started the family which would occupy the home for the next 140 years.
As the Hain Family grew, so did the residence. A summer kitchen was added c 1838 and c 1843-1846 rooms were added on the long ell until that summer kitchen rooms was incorporated into the house. By c 1860 the entire house was constructed in the same form as today including the picket fence and the pecan tree.
George and Sophia had three sons and one daughter. He died in 1877, and left the property to Sophia providing she did not remarry. When she did in 1887, their son George John Hain, purchased the home for $1,500.00 . George John married Mary Epstein of Boonville and they had five children, two boys (another John Hain) and three girls. The last daughter, Agnes Hain, sold the property to the Crosby Kemper Foundations of Kansas City, who gave it to the Friends of Historic Boonville. In 1982, the yard was dedicated the Hain House Memorial Gardens and is totally planted and maintained by volunteers.
Outside of the Hain House in early December
Collections of Christmas gifts and dolls sold in the Hain House during the Christmas season
Photo by Judy Stock
Another inside shot of the Hain House in full Christmas regalia
Photo by Judy Stock
Wreaths and other Christmas gifts
produced by Jeremy Painter 1998.